Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "extending the lower bass of the panels" ...

Without looking at the schematic (too late, I'm about to head for bed) I'm guessing that the issue with the passive XO is that the amp isn't seeing the driver above the crossover point and is losing electrical damping as a result. But that doesn't explain why the amp would make a difference. So -- it might have something to do with the amp's ability to deal with the back EMF. But I'm not sure why that would be an issue, since these amps generally have plenty of reserve unless you're really cranking them, and the feedback loop of a modern amp should have enough bandwidth and slew rate. And I don't think the harmonic spectrum would have that much of an effect.

Really, there is something going on here that I don't understand from an engineering perspective -- not just the wooly bass but the different ways amplifers handle the ADSR envelope/20 dB transients on piano etc. This stuff isn't happening at a high frequency, but at a very low one.

These Stereophile measurements say they were taken at 100", so it isn't near field. But they say anechoic. Don't have the original review and I was wondering what the setup was. Were they done outside? Did they try to take a quasi-anechoic gated measurement at 100", which you *can't* do with a line source unless you measure it in a room the size of a gymnasium? In any case, as you say, the only meaningful measurement of the bass response of a dipole is in a room, because you have cancellation from the rear wave reflection. And that of course is going to vary widely depending on room and setup -- as bass always does.

Reminds me that I have to measure my IVA's in their new position . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.