Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan service hello....

Sure, as president of the company, Mark Winey makes hiring decisions. But remember that he's also the one who's responsible for the bottom line.

Because of the 4x multiplier, consumer electronics manufacturing is intensely sensitive to labor costs. And Magnepan's mission is to make high end speakers for regular people, rather than for a few one percenters. They've sold more than 100,000 Maggies because they have such a stellar price/performance ratio. One of the ways they do this, and manage to keep manufacturing in the United States rather than in low-wage countries like China, is by keeping an extremely tight lid on costs of every kind.

In fact, it was Mark who told me how much an employee costs them per hour. I've been asked not to disclose the figure, but unless you've been in business, you would likely be surprised at how costly it is.

"I'm willing to be it won't take 6 weeks to get a response to your call as it did for my getting a response to my call to Magnepan's service 'department'."

No question about it, in fact I spoke to them yesterday (they said the amps are likely to arrive from China on the 23rd, and I should call them then if they don't). And as I said Magnepan is aware of the problem -- they do read and are concerned about these posts -- and looking for ways to minimize the disruption should something like this happen in the future.

But I think we should be careful what we ask for. See my other post about spending half an hour with a Microsoft tech rep in India who didn't know what the hell she was talking about. I've watched the opposite at Magnepan -- Wendell, a senior manager, taking a customer's call -- someone from India who had received the wrong screws -- and immediately talking to the appropriate people and getting the screws sent out to him. The handoff was impressive, like a basketball game. If Magnepan goes the route of other companies today that level of customer service will be lost and I know that Wendell very much doesn't want to do that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Magnepan service hello.... - josh358 08:12:12 03/18/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.