Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: DMW

I think there are several effects here. One, the additional driver will increase bass levels and if the two speakers have similar low frequency cutoffs (not at all certain) that in and of itself will lower the frequency of the 3 dB point, so give you a bit more bass extension. Two, the coupling of the two baffles which will increase baffle area. This will have the effect of reducing the frequency at which the 6 dB/octave rolloff begins and that will increase bass extension.

Of course, the baffle itself is a complex shape and reflections from the room surfaces have to be taken into account as well, so it's really more complex than that. But suffice it to say that adding baffle area will lower the 3 dB point, as long as it's near enough to couple effectively, and that the baffles themselves will interact with their reflections in proximate surfaces, possibly resulting in a disproportionate increase in bass output and extension if the large speaker is coupled to the wall by the smaller speaker -- keeping in mind that the deepest bass is emitted at the bottom of the speaker where the lowest resonance segment is. This assumes that the diaphgrams will impede bass frequencies effectively despite the fact that they're underdamped. Since they are, there may also be some resonant coupling between drivers.

As I see it, anyway -- it's others who have measured the effect, I'm just trying to account for it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DMW - josh358 13:58:26 03/12/17 (2)
    • RE: DMW - zulugone 18:12:57 03/12/17 (1)
      • RE: DMW - josh358 17:10:58 03/13/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.