Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Another First Reflection Trap (FRT) Adventure : Quasi-Ambiophonics

It is great that some many here are experimenting with Ambiophonic methodologies. There are of course, papers tutorials, pictures, apps, a book, and components archived on the Ambiophonics.org website. It took me some twenty years to replace the barrier with software that did the same thing but better. In general crosstalk does not effect localization below 90 Hz or above about 4000 Hz. Unfortunately unless a barrier is absorbent and very thick it does not do a very good job below say 500 Hz, but still better than conventional stereo.

Any one of the new digital DSP gizmos, based on the RACE algorithm, works with almost any speaker type and with angles from about half the stereo speaker angle to say ten degrees. There are two easily adjusted parameters to accommodate any reasonable speaker angle. If the speaker angle is too narrow it is hard to stay on the center line between them but it will work. If the angle is too wide you begin to get a head shadow and a pinna error but compared to such errors in stereo this is not serious. Lots of other psychoacoustic points on the website or ask me about Envelophonics and 3D surround. Ralph

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.