Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Larger Mini Mags 10.0R or .7R?

Aren't those tall line sources expensive, though? Or otherwise not comparable, e.g., don't have much of a dealer network.

I looked at some pictures of the 10's and rather like the look myself. Also, I looked it up and interestingly, the 10's were the same height as the .7's, about 55", while the 10.1's were shorter. OTOH the .7 has gotten raves and with a ribbon tweeter and I gather been a success. With a ribbon and a higher XO to a DWM as you suggest it would undoubtedly sound great.

My main problem with the shorter Maggies -- the MMG's, anyway -- is that the sound seems to be coming from too low. Also, if they're tilted back, they don't image as well as if they're upright (again, based on experiments with my MMG's). And in theory anyway they're subject to vertical lobing from the floor and ceiling reflections. But as Wendell said, there have to be some compromises.

I love having the 18" mid-tweet panels from the IVA's out in the room, only 1" wider than the .7 and narrower than a 3.7, but even accounting for the fact that my room is only 13 x 14 they don't exactly disappear:

I'm trying to visualize what they'd look like at that height but only 10" wide . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Larger Mini Mags 10.0R or .7R? - josh358 15:09:25 02/28/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.