Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: maggie SMGa water based repair glue options?

Unfortunately, there's no way around it. You would need to remove the remaining old adhesive (from the Mylar & wire segments to be fixed only) with acetone or something. Otherwise, the new glue would not hold. (However, please check with them again; removing the old adhesive from my Maggies DID take acetone. The old glue was not water-based.) If you need to wait until April and follow Magnepan's instructions, that should work well also. In fact, it does give you more time to study other things in more detail.

The magnets mentioned earlier are the ones on the black perforated board side. You may have seen references to it as "pole piece". That perforated metal sheet you see is fully covered with magnets on the inner side. You don't see the magnet side directly because it is facing the Mylar sheet. (If you explore the MUG link at the top of the forum's page, I am sure you'll find illustrations.)

What Neo and I suggest is the "battery trick". When/if you get closer to try it, we can give you more details. It takes advantage of the continuous attraction between wires and magnets when a battery's DC power is applied (in the proper polarity and terminals). It is really simple and helps to keep a wire segment down after applying adhesive there.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.