Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tell us about your room

I noticed those price swings. Unfortunately, it's moot right now, as there are no used ones for sale -- they don't seem to come up very often. That 100 watt limit may have something to do with it, as they appear to be the opposite of tube watts -- when the thing runs out of steam, the harmonic distortion soars into the stratosphere. It would likely work with the 93 dB efficient Neo 8's, though, that's 113 dB at the listening seat (and actually a few dB more since it would be a 4 ohm load).

I think a DIY bias switch is a good idea. Not exactly that complex. I wonder why there haven't been more variable bias designs? I'm seeing more Class H.

One possibility would be an acoustically transparent screen that lowered in *front* of the MMG's when you were watching -- you could use a short throw projector if you had to. But I'm not sure if someone makes an acoustically transparent motorized screen, particularly a reasonably priced one.

That sounds like quite an elaborate switching setup! I'm not going analog but rather SPDIF out to the Mini DSP. So I'd have to switch the SPDIF. And god knows what happens when I add surround, which, however, I'm very far from doing -- hard to think of something affordable that wouldn't degrade the performance of the mains. One possibility is to repurpose the Tympani mids for surrounds and then add new ribbons. But, as I said, far in the future -- I have a lot of work still to do on the two-channel system, including experimenting with split woofers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.