Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Should I get my Tympani I-Ds rebuilt?

the guitars all have mutes on the strings to prevent them from ringing and the piano soft pedal stays on for listening

I got the Tymps back just before Christmas. Magnepan charged me $2227 for the complete rebuild, including $82 for new cartons+pallet. I shipped them out in my old boxes via FedEx Ground (I have an account) and it was quite reasonable, $132 going there and $163 coming back. When I first hooked them up one of the tweeters was not working. It turned out to be a bad connection on one of the jumpers on the back panel. I had to use Deoxit on the jumper to get it to work. I'm surprised Magnepan didn't test the speakers before shipping. Should I pull off the back nameplate panels and tension and/or clean those connectors?

I think they are now broken in.

I am moving them around my room trying to get the "magic" and I am not there and I'm getting a little discouraged. I have attached a sketch of my room and am asking for guidance.

I have varied dimension "A" from 36" to 42" in 2" increments, varying the angle of the tweeter panel in each position. Dimension "B" right now is 35" on the left and 34" on the right. Is it important for this to be the same om both sides? Is it better to get this "B" dimension smaller?

I am trying different listening positions. Is there any guide to establishing a relationship between dimension "D" and dimension "C"?

Should I try bringing them "way out" into the room? Should I try cross fired tweeters?

I am also having some issues with the vertical angle of the speakers. One side is not as "vertical" as the other. I have placed wedges under the feet, on the front of the speaker, to help this. Should I aim to get them perfectly plumb? I remember on my SMGa's this vertical angle had two positions.

Will biamping and/or more power help deliver the "magic"? I am using my 200 watt per channel (into 8 ohms) Threshold Stasis 2. I do have 2 PSE power amps available. I was hoping to enjoy these speakers without biamping, but I am willing to try. I could also try one PSE amp, full range per channel, in bridged mode - might this be worth the effort?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Should I get my Tympani I-Ds rebuilt? - Boulder Bob 07:16:49 02/19/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.