Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Midrange/tweeter line array project

You'll run into trouble with this layout because you'll have varying dispersion patterns.

In general, you want either a line source or a point source. The size of the driver should be smaller than the highest frequency wavelength it's reproducing and drivers in different frequency ranges should be less than half a wavelength apart. Both vertical and horizontal dispersion are a concern. This means it isn't a good idea to double up tweeters as you've shown. Ideally, a line source stretches all the way from the floor to the ceiling (there is however a caveat to this in the case of tweeters), and a point source is infinitely small.

Of course, none of this can be achieved in practice so it has to be approximated. I think Roger's layout does a good job of that. You could do even better by going four way -- a line of Neo 10's, a line of Neo 8 PDR's, and then the Aurum Cantus (or if you're willing to bi amp the less efficient Magnepan line source ribbon tweeter which I think are now $750 each).

You could also try to imitate the Beta layout with BG's -- it was a wonderful speaker though I was bothered by the fact that the frequency bands seemed to emanate from different heights. That would include the minimal open enclosure that lets the backwave through for good imaging. However, a good deal of experimentation might be needed to tune the response. A line array is easier, particularly if you can triamp and adjust the crossovers rapidly to speed optimization. It's also potentially better though more expensive, because of the radiation pattern and the large driver area which gives you higher SPL, lower distortion, and better efficiency.

I like Satie's BB-MM-T-MM-BB D'Appolito arrangement though I'm not sure I'd double up on the midranges owing to vertical dispersion issues.

My vote would be a four-way line source approach, that should be even better than the Beta and really all but a few commercially available speakers of any description.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Midrange/tweeter line array project - josh358 12:54:15 02/16/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.