Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tweeters use a few watts max ...

True - and up until last weekend, I would've agreed with you.

But I found something out about feeding HFs into a 2 ohms load that has changed my mind.

I run triamped Maggies - so I have an 70w (into 8ohms) ss amp driving my ribbons directly. The amp is stable into 2 ohms - ie. it hasn't blown up! :-)) - and my treble sound is great (or so I've always thought!!).

But I recently did some sweeps using REW and a calibrated mic ... and noticed that the FR graph showed a steep drop-off after 16Khz. (Given the mic is calibrated, the FR should be flat to 20Khz.)

So I did some crude measurements, driving my tweeter amp directly (bypassing the miniDSP XO) with a signal generator and measuring the voltage at the ribbon terminals.

To my surprise, the voltage I read at 16Khz was much lower than the voltage at 6Khz ... and at 30Khz, it was down a lot more! This says to me that my tweeter amp - even though it is "stable" into 2 ohms - cannot perform at HFs into a 2 ohm load! :-(( I have been told by an amp designer (not the designer of my amp!) that this is typical of the 'power envelope' of Mosfet power amps.

So I am going to borrow a transistor-based power amp which is renowned for being able to drive 2ohm loads and see if the REW sweep becomes flat to 20Khz!

So my point is - just because an amp:
* has bags of power for a 2ohm driver
* and is "stable" into this load

... doesn't necessarily mean it will perform well into that 2ohm load.

Andy

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.