Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Don't know much about ...

"That brings us back to the ML CLS or Soundlab A1 or tall acoustat coupled with a Tympani or an IRS woofer tower as HP experimented with. That model goes with the GT Audio 3 as well. It is $15k to $20k with the woofer sections and should max out in the over 115 db output range, if not quite to 120 db. That makes it a bargain if it truly does it. The current version of the IRS in the Genesis I is still a $200k setup. And I don't think the modified BG drivers can actually match the performance of the old EMIMs nor that of the more modern Neo8."

It's true. The cost of the Genesis I is disproportionate. I don't know how good the GT Audio 3 is -- it looks good on paper but there's a lot more to speaker design than the components. But we know what it cost to make a good electrostatic or planar tower as well as OB woofer towers and you should be able to sell something comparable or better for less than that. (For this kind of money, I'd probably add a sealed woofer for bottom octave slam -- even full-height OB towers may bottom out at high levels.)

I'm not sure if dynamic bass slam is realistic. For explosions, maybe, but drums don't pressurize a room (0th mode), they're dipoles. But if you want to do 16 Hz pedal notes or explosions, I think you're right -- you have to go with a sealed dynamic (or a rotary woofer). Which doesn't actually cost that much, in fact I think it's a better cost trade, e.g., you get good, undistorted midbass from the Tympani panels or OB dynamics and then you get the bottom octave from a pair of sealed subs. The cost of an IRS-style bass tower is unnecessarily high and the quality won't match that of an OB line since you have enclosure coloration and excite more room modes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Don't know much about ... - josh358 10:15:18 02/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.