Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Going active on Tympani 1Ds

Satie,

The intrinsic setup with a pair of Tympani 1D's is a 2 way driver system.

You have two bass panels which work as one. This is an important point which I think was getting missed in some of the earlier points.

This means that there is no lower bass panel coupled with a mid bass panel at another XO frequency.

When I had these bass panels rewired with QR, with a passive setup the capacitor range was approximately halved and the inductor coil was doubled (approximately) to reflect the fact that the panels were now 4.2 ohms and when linked in series gives you 8.2 ohms.

So the bottom end of the bass panels starts anywhere from 25-35Hz. Remember this is not a conventional Tympani 1D panel and simply listening to these versus a conventional setup most assuredly resulted in multiple listeners claiming how much lower the speakers were getting to at that bottom end.

The stated XO point between the bass panels and EXISTING tweeter panel in the conventional setup is 1100Hz. So that tweeter panel covers the spectrum FROM 1100 TO the end of the HF range ~ 20kHz.

I have gone from that 2 way system to the addition of a pair of version 2 ribbons for the tweeter. The version 2 ribbons is what you will find in the later maggies - 3.6,3.7,20.1,20.7. They are physically different in size compared to the previous true ribbons although it is a very small difference.

So I now have the option of going 3 way AND active.

My feeling at the current minute is to go from 80Hz TO 1100Hz for the bass panels where the previous tweeter panel which is NOW the midrange to kick in. Now are you saying that the midrange panel would cover the spectrum FROM 1100Hz where it crosses over to the ribbons at say 5000Hz? Is that what you are saying.

Can you see now Satie what I am trying to do?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.