Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Going active on Tympani 1Ds

Hi mate,

Please give consideration to the following photo.

As you can see I have put the drivers in wooden frames with metal frames for support.

Now have a look at the smaller panel. This is the what used to be the tweeter - now midrange, and the ribbon. The distance between the two is approximately 45mm. This applies to both sides.

Please remember that prior to this the imaging that I was getting BEFORE going active was simply sublime! I cant stress that enough.

I have simply added in the pair of subs in mono and added the ribbon for the higher end.

I dont quite understand the suggestions particularly about the addition of the neo's. Sorry I should rephrase that I can see that there would be benefit however are we not forgetting that I am simply making these speakers into a 3 way from a 2 way. Is it not the case that the Tympani IVas are a 3 way as opposed to the intrinsic 2 way setup of the 1Ds.

Sorry I am a bit lost at the suggestions.

The whole point was to try and go 3 way active. That is to go from the 2 intrinsic 2 way setup and go active with a minidsp running the show.

The frequency response is listed at +/- 3dB from 40 to 20,000Hz.

The internal XO is at 1100Hz with a 6dB octave.

I read that as the TWO bass panels covering the frequency spectrum FROM 40Hz TO 1100Hz where they are cut off and the remaining tweeter driver then dealing with all frequencies above 1100Hz.

Is that how you read it.

I cant see it any other way because as I said the physical configuration is a single wire going into the bass panels which are bridged and then coming back out. There simply cant be - not as I can see it anyhow one bass panel dealing with signals from 40-400 and the other one from say 400-1100.

So lets go with 40Hz as a start point. Everything else underneath that would be covered by the subs.

Would I cut this pair off at 1100 which is the intrinsic XO as stated in the manual?

How would I know what to cut the mid off at and then introduce the ribbons for the HF? I cant go off any manual because the tympanis never had a ribbon so really I would be relying upon what the maggie ranges do when introducing the ribbons. Does that sound reasonable guys.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.