Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Going active on Tympani 1Ds

One problem is that you are using 4th order L-R filters. Even ordered symmetric filters just don't sound good with Magnepans (Yes, Big Al I know you disagree). The T-ID uses 1st order (6 db) filters.
The 2nd issue is the crossover points and filter cutoffs. I believe the woofer LP was at 1100 Hz but I am not sure of the mid HP. I think it was 400 Hz as Magnepan is notorious for using asymmeteric crossovers and may have been doing so even in the early '80s. IMO the bass on the Tympani -ID is the gold standard and I would allow them to run full-range rather than cutting them off at 80 hz. If you are using a sub, then set the sub to kick in below 40 hz so it acts only to extend the range rather than supplementing the mains.

The best thing is to call Magnepan and they can give you the specs. Emulating the OEM is going to give you the best results.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.