Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: miss the Telarc Organ Symphony

Awright, Josh! That's what I meant with "that you could polish". And I had forgotten the Neo's.

A couple of items for you to remember or simply evaluate:

-- One is this. If my blastedly cheap old MMG's insist in telling power amps apart, I bet the IVA's will do so much more.

Until the MOSFET-driven 2003A arrived, I had used a HCA-1000A for the tweeters. It has NO mosfies output but did well enough with class A at low volume, due to a re-tune into high bias.

Yet, in the few visits by the A-21 to my place, it was tried as tweeter amp, in place of the 1000a, with the HCA-1500A in its usual bass duty. The A-21 was also tried with the 1500A driving tweeters, as well as the A-21 doing bass. (The remaining possible combinations, by including the 1000 and a few other power amps, were also tried.)

Consistently, the MMG's were always "clear" that any combo of the A-21 and the 1500A was great. The same is the now case with the 2003A and the 1500A. I expect that the A-21 will get along grandly with the 2003A the day they get together. (That shared fundamental design PLUS the MOSFET output may explain it.)

Not so when others were in the combinations. Which surprised me at first because the 1000A has a very similar design, minus the MOSFETs.

-- Another point, however, is that all of the above may lose some relevancy if the Neo's decide to impose new rules.

-- Lastly, even when at moderate levels, "part-time" class A is sweetly worth it IF the whole signal chain can stay in it. (I mean, from the source to the power amps...and at a useful power envelope.) Starting the chain in class B always, for example, won't get this "fixed" by subsequent class A stages. Doing class A all throughout does not need to break the bank nor do space-heating.

The thing the MOSFET HCA's are doing here is to provide a very delightful class A delivery right at levels where mechanical distortions have not yet imposed a drowning effect. I suspect that the A-21/31/51 could deliver more sweetness still.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: miss the Telarc Organ Symphony - JBen 00:31:38 01/14/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.