Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quick-fix: will the IIIa ribbon with fit the 3.7?

The IIIa ribbon is wider than the newer models (everything after the IIIa) and may not fit the cage.
However I think you could easily swap in the IIIa tweeter (cage and ribbon) into the 3.7 since the width of the cages are the same. The IIIa cage is 0.6" shorter than the 3.7 so it will fit in the "groove". The screw holes may not match up but for a temporary fix you could probably forego the screws. Remember the impedance of the IIIa ribbon is only 2.3 ohms so you would need to use the 1 ohm series resistor in the attenuator socket. Omitting it may make your amplifer very unhappy. Also there would be a slight change in the crossover characteristics but again, for a short term fix, it would be acceptable.
Why did your tweeter blow? I don't think the absence of the fuse was an issue (I know Magnepan will disagree). It would be a good idea to trace down the problem so you ribbon replacement does not become a regular feature of your life.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 01/10/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.