Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quads and Cat

Thanks again Satie and AJ! This is all great information and I really appreciate the chance to talk about it on this forum and get your thoughts. I love the trial and error part of the discovery process with switching components and I'll admit it...... I enjoy messing around with audio gear just about as much as listening to music. I'm sure that statement would be considered sacrilegious in some circles, but to me its just fun to swap gear and see what happens.

I will say that its highly unlikely that my 3.7i's will ever find their way back into this system. As the Quads have settled in during the last few days, everything has gotten much better, particularly the overall cohesiveness of the system. The Quads with the CAT electronics are just fantastic and I really doubt if I'd ever break them up again. The last few days when I've woken up in the morning, I feel like a kid and run down to turn the system on, then start flipping records. Every record sounds new and different with lots of information I just never heard before.

But I can see a day not too far down the road, where I find a pair of 20.?'s and shoe horn them into the sweet spot of this system; just to try them out. Then I'd even like to set up the 20.?'s in the Giya system when that comes together in a couple of months. That system will have CAT Statement amps that are being built now with either my CJ GAT2 with CJ Premier 15 or the CAT Legend depending on what sounds best. The front end will be a TechDas 3 with Graham Phantom Elite arm and the new TechDas cartridge or my Koetsu Blue Lace tracking the grooves. With all that gear I'll be able to have regular shoot outs between my Planar speakers and the Giyas (or other dynamic speakers) with all kinds of different electronic configurations, tube or solid state.

As crazy expensive as all of this is, I'm pretty convinced that the only way to really audition a piece of equipment is in my own system for several months at a time. I've been to many shows and several dealers who were kind and generous enough to allow me to hear their demo systems knowing the chances I would buy were pretty slim. Then, I've heard a few super systems set up in other kind and generous folks's own homes. Its rare to find a really good sounding system and impossible to sort out all the variables and think that system would sound just as good in my own house!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.