Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Harshness in upper frequencies in my Maggie 3.7s

In the old days when fine audiophile stores still survived in some suburbs, ending circa 2008, there was one that carried Classe nearby. Something scared that dealer and he dropped the line in 2007. The impression I got was that he primarily was no longer liking their repair services.

I think that a problem which many high-end "honest" factory repair shops have, is finding the original replacement parts. For example, some power transistor are almost custom-made, or at least are batch-produced for given amplifiers. Often, only finite amounts of these are kept for replacements along the years. Furthermore, in many cases these transistors need to be closely pair-matched for top performance. In such dearth, whatever can be found will have to do; unfortunate thing as it is.

I've seen cases of this issue in other fine brands. Thus, it would not be too surprising if Classe is no longer being able to bring your amp to its full original glory. In fact, your description "kind of sandpapery quality to the sound" was exactly right in a couple of cases I've heard. And no amount of warming up time would really fix it.

So, among the other great suggestions, keep in mind the ones that encourage you to haul in a borrowed amp to test with.

Then again, I've used SACD 1812 cannons to make the xover caps in some old Maggies sound "ugly, truly ugly, to hear"...but let's be positive :)

Good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.