Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Amps for Maggies. Tube vs SS (I've searched)

"something equivalent (or better) for much less money". I'm sure readers here would love to learn from Davey of a sub he considers 1- equivalent to a Rythmik model for much less money, and even more so 2- a sub better than a Rythmik model for much less money. I'm sure those readers would also like to know how Davey knows that to be the case, as he has apparently never heard a Rythmik. I have a feeling he finds that unnecessary, subs being as "straightforward" as they are.

Davey IS right about the Rythmik F15 DIY Kit being a higher value than the factory-finished F15. By the way, one doesn't have to go to Danny at GR Research to get it---Brian at Rythmik also offers the Kit. I bought a pair of the F15HP Kits myself, designed a 4cu.ft. enclosure (the factory one is 3cu.ft.) with very substantial bracing (8 running side-to-side, 6 top-to-bottom, and 4 front-to-back, one every 5". Overkill, to be sure!), and had a local cabinet maker cut me flatpacks out of MDF, which I assembled and painted myself. Cheaper, and slightly higher efficiency/sensitivity and output thanks to the extra cu.ft.!

The point of my mentioning Jim Salk selling some of his speakers with the Rythmik sub in them, was of how remarkable it is for a speaker company to use a competitors product in their own. I can think of no other example of that having been done (other than raw drivers---SEAS for example, and ICE power modules. But those aren't really competitors to a speaker company like Salk Sound.). Davey dismisses the significance of that, I don't! Regarding Paul McGowan's credibility vs. Davey's, I'll leave that judgment to the readers ;-).

Edits: 10/27/16 10/27/16 10/27/16 10/27/16 10/27/16 10/27/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.