Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Agree

I am with you on the subsonic info. It gives you a sense of scale to the recording space. I kick myself for having put in a subsonic filter on the bass filter to save the amps some work. They clipped anyway so I had to go for bigger power but didn't think about the subsonic filter till a couple of years later. A whole lot of life going on down there.

I am not sure if you answered about high passing the 3.7i, or is it running full range? I am asking since the KT120 tube can be quite clear and detailed while the Carver or CJ amps have power for a 3.7i high passed around 40 hz. They would fade in the bass and get muddy on top driving the low freq. The R20 should do 20ms peak power of >600W and has a 2 ohm rating with double that for 20ms peak. Which would make for much of what you describe even if the basic bones of the R20 were not quite at the level of the two big tube amps. With a few mods perhaps I would expect the R20 to have a cleaner midrange than a tube amp other than a non feedback SET, or a Spectron Musician,, but I would be a bit surprised if they managed to get the top octave really clean and entirely free of that chalky texture compared to KT120s. No problem vs. a KT90 and most new prod. KT88 not that high a hurdle..

Hope you get the R20 back to full function.

Edits: 02/14/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Agree - Satie 18:49:57 02/09/16 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.