Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Pros & Cons ...

Here is what I found,,,,

With the speakers aimed exactly directly at me (bass side is exactly same distance from my nose as the tweeter side), adding the 1 ohm resistor to the treble reduced loudness by 1.5 db at the listening position when set at 70db starting at 4 kHz. No effect below that.

Inserting the mid 1 ohm resistor lowered the the upper Mids from 800 to 2.5 kHz by about 1 to 1.5 db. Again, it had zero impact above that number or below.

Thus inserting both resistors reduced the volume by about one to 1.5 db at fixed listening position above 800 hz. The only frequency not affected by either was exactly at 3.2 kHz.

Obviously the exact details will differ based upon measuring position, speaker position and toe in (small changes in toe in can dwarf these effects) but for what it is worth...

In terms of sound, adding both resistors to the 3.7i reduces glare and makes the speaker sound much more smooth, liquid and relaxed. The question is whether it makes it TOO smooth. With the Emotiva XPA-1 it seems a good addition, though not uniformly so. Time will tell. I also hope to try it next week with a PS Audio BHK 250.

I have used the treble resistor for a long time, but will now go for a while using both and see how it grows on me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Pros & Cons ... - Swamis Cat 08:10:07 01/28/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.