Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Stereophile Review of Magnepan Tympanni 1 from 1975

The discussion of Magnepan and Stereophile non-review came up back in December 2011 on this forum. Apparently there some words between Wendell and JA at a trade show that were published out of context. Basically Stereophile wants to publish measurements and Magnepan does not feel that the measuring methods used for box speakers are particularly useful for evaluating planars, so they both agreed amicably to disagree.

FWIW I have not relied very much on reviews in trade mags to make decisions about what I buy. I listen much more to the inmates on AA to get ideas and then do my own listening. I guess it feels good to see that Joe Blow, audio guru for the last 25 years at Super Audio Review, likes the MG3.7i or my 24 tube Class A monoblock amplifiers that cost $10k each, etc. but the bottom line is I own the equipment and the only thing that counts is me.

I should also add what helped me the most in purchasing equipment in the past was a good honest and knowledgeable dealer. My dealer in the late 70's and early 80's (when they existed) sold me my Maggies, the Denon 103D cartridge, Music Reference RM-5 preamp , and a Denon DP-55k table with a Unitrac I tonearm. All are still top-class products and all are still in use 35 years later except for the Denon 103D (destroyed by a overzealous cleaning lady with a dust rag) and of course upgrades with the Maggies. He also sold me a Hafler DH-500 kit which I is not working at present but is sitting on my work table with an oscilloscope attached waiting for me to figure out what's wrong. Another classic product that my dealer steered me to when I needed some oomph for my first Maggie and I had no cash. It is one of the reasons I went to Gifted Listener in Centreville, VA to buy my MG 3.7i. A good dealer can save you big bucks over the years and more importantly give you true value for those bucks by putting you on to the right stuff.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 11/20/15 11/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Stereophile Review of Magnepan Tympanni 1 from 1975 - neolith 19:27:27 11/20/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.