Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Thanks, Roger. ...

Andy,
it is along time since I was working on Tympani tweeters. As I remember it, there were two fundamental resonant frequencies, one at 450-500 Hz and one quite a bit lower than that. These were very pronounced. The very thin wires on the Mylar makes the tweeters sensitive to heating, that will be the case if letting them produce frequencies bekow 1 kHz. The effective diaphragm is really too small to produce high SPL at lower frequencies, the diaphragm cannot move that much air and there is a limited excursion (as in any Magneplanar type of driver).

Yes, the 20.1 and 20.7 also have restricting magnets/perforated sheet metal. In the case of the old push-pull tweeters the open area is very limited, 11% or so (have not look at for many years). I think the 20.1 and 20.7 are more open. The main reason with the push-pull configuration for mids/tweeters is too increase the efficency while using thing and low mass voicecoils.

Would like to have a wide ribbon from 400 Hz and upwards to compliment he ribbon tweeter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks, Roger. ... - Roger Gustavsson 06:37:00 07/24/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.