Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Opinion Eminent Tech or Magnepan 1.7

Generally, for moderate SPL listening in a small room the LFT6 is a better speaker,
For louder playback it needs a subwoofer. or you would prefer the 8b, which still needs a subwoofer.
For full power real life SPL you can't get enough output from either one of the models since their midrange output is limited. When I had to choose I ended up with a Tympani since it could put out the raw SPL and has a ribbon tweeter. While the stock XO does not give you the most out of the tweeter, the ribbon maggies (particularly the .7 series with their simpler XO) have an advantage there over both these ET models in top octave performance. But the PP midrange of the ET speakers does not compress as early as the SE maggies. so you get a more dynamic presentation given sufficient power. The LFT VI is very insensitive. .
I do wish ET would come out with a new version of the LFT 6 with the new neodymium magnets now available. I know it would be a $10k speaker, but there would be a much larger range of rooms and matching electronics that could drive a higher sensitivity and higher SPL capable speaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Opinion Eminent Tech or Magnepan 1.7 - Satie 09:45:17 07/05/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.