Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: mmg or lx mini or.... JBL?

I'm a big fan of MMG's - the full range dipole will work well in a lot of rooms - add diffusion behind the speakers and have a serious power amplifier
And a Subwoofer. The LX-mini is interesting and Linkwitz is a smart designer - looks like the LX-mini with dsp crossover - puts some demands on an amplifier as well.
With a $700 Crown pro Amp the MMG's will produce peak at over 110dB at a 2 meter listening distance. The LX-mini will likely a little short of that - but in the ballpark - drivers are more sensitive.

The MMG's are falling fast @ 50Hz - a bit more extenstion with the LXmini.

MMG's look more than acceptable and are interesting to audiophiles and non-audiophiles by their unique "panelness". The LX mini is pure DYI plumbing. I built a similar small baffle dipole with a TANG Bang bamboo driver about 10 years ago - coupled with the Tang bang 6 inch subwoofer. I'd say my DYI looked better than Linkwitz.. I only made a single speaker - so it never performed stereo duty.

I've been playing with a pair the JBL LSR308 for the last month. They eventually are going into an antique old stereo cabinet retrofit for a client of mine. For $500 including the Amplifiers I can find little fault in their sound considering the value - the tweeter waveguide does exactly what is intended. Perhaps the only issue is a little cabinet vibration I have identified and addressed with a small pair of internal braces.

The MMG's and JBL's are easy to preview. The LX-mini is a commitment.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: mmg or lx mini or.... JBL? - BigguyinATL 20:17:41 02/26/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.