Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: New side and rear surrounds - Magnepan, BG, Sunfire?

Spectacular as it is, what I hear through planars reminds me of listening to a concert through a picture window. The sense of envelopment I get in a concert hall is missing. It can be added back in a multichannel setup with artificial reverb that emulates a concert hall's acoustical signature, but that's impractical to do at home, since you'd have to tune it by ear for each recording. And a matrix decoder like Dolby's, no matter how sophisticated, isn't going to provide optimal results.

You can try to do it passively with your listening room. You want to create a "reflection-free zone" (RFZ) at your listening seat -- it's not really reflection free but it's free of the early reflections that would mask the early reflections from a much larger concert hall. But that's hard to do at home. So we try to pull the speakers out and use diffusion to achieve some of the same effect.

Then you want to use lots of diffusion to create a nice reverberant tail from the other room surfaces. Again, that's hard to do if you don't have a dedicated theater or listening room, or a blind wife. And even if you do, it's going to be a one-size solution. The acoustics of a jazz club, a concert hall, and a cathedral are radically different, and in movies, you have the outdoors to deal with as well! So you really need some electronic assistance here.

Which in a nutshell is why I favor discrete multichannel recordings. But I think there's a chicken-and-egg problem: Few people have surround systems so surround recordings don't sell very well, and since there aren't many surround recordings, people don't buy surround systems. Also, I think the fact that most people buy pop recordings hurts the prospects of surround because (the occasional psychedelic effect notwithstanding) you really don't need or even particularly want surround for studio pop.

One solution would just be to include an acoustical model of the hall with the recording. Then the user's processor could handle the reverb for whatever speaker setup and acoustics he has. I'm not aware of any movement in that direction, but then, I haven't had time to keep up with it!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: New side and rear surrounds - Magnepan, BG, Sunfire? - josh358 07:54:49 01/22/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.