Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Repeat of bass slap test Tympani IV- bass

"I just played some test tones at > 90 db spl at the seat (spl meter set on peak and jumping around 91-94 readings which is "corrected" to 103-106 db by the calibration curve - if you want to believe it...) and got a few slaps on 25hz and quite a bit of it at 20hz."

This is for the speakers in a Limage setup with the deep bass panels smack against the sidewalls in perpendicular fashion with both bass panels on each side facing dead forward.

I repeated the test after bracing the tops of the bass panels to the walls with a 1X2 oak piece per side.

The readings did not gyrate at all as opposed to ranging from 91-94 db within each warble tone in the unbraced speakers, and were 94 to 95 going from 40 hz down to 25 hz. The reading dropped to 90 db at 20 hz.

There was no slap at all. But my ears popped on the 25 hz track so I am not doing it again at a higher level as I had planned till I get good ear protection.

The calibration curve gives the values of 102 db at 20 hz, 103db at 25 hz, 101 db at 30 hz, 101 db at 35hz, 99 db at 40 hz and 97 db at 50hz - above 50 hz the calibration curve makes the consistent 93-94 db readings up to over 100 hz a nearly constant 96 db.

Subjectively, the loudness appears consistent and even but for 25-30 hz which are just a little louder. the drop in output at 20 hz is very obvious. Note that these are 1/3rd octave warble tones so you are measuring 18-23 hz and the range on the readings (SPL meter set at fast) was only 2 db. The subjectively even bass down to 25 hz despite a rise of 6 db is consistent with the Fletcher Munson curves but less steep than the ISO curves would indicate. The subjective value was that of 91-92 db at 250 hz so fairly loud.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Repeat of bass slap test Tympani IV- bass - Satie 14:36:49 12/22/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.