Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: How do I test my IIIA to make sure they are OK?

Looking at the manual it is a 3rd order XO so should be at -135 deg @60 hz. and that is going to get more negative as you place the sub further away from the speakers, meaning that you will probably generate a bit of a suckout at least in one frequency. The half wave (180 deg) is about 11 ft. to get to -180 deg, would take 45/180 X 11 or about 2.8 ft of distance. Which is what you have with the realtive distance of speaker to ear and ear to the sub when you pull the speaker out. That suckout around 60 hz would be mirrored in the other speaker. since it is farther away and thus has its cancellation at the speaker itself at a lower freq, it may have an effect on the reflected bass from the left side.

If you flip the phase switch it will leave the at +135 and it will get less positive as the speakers move towards you, so the freq at which you will have cancellation would be further up and at a lower amplitude of sub output so you would have a smaller dip but at a more important freq around 90-100 hz.

If you brought the subs a bit closer than the speakers then the suckout would become smaller and at a higher freq. You can try that out by moving the sub along the sidewall towards your listening position in order to retain similar boundary support.

Another option is to lower the XO down to 40 hz where the freq would not happen to have that accidental set of numbers to cause dips in your bass.

Another option is to use the high pass of the sub to feed the speakers and put the XO wherever you like since then the speakers and subs would have a complementary phase and one of the inverse or straight phase positions will get it right.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How do I test my IIIA to make sure they are OK? - Satie 07:33:56 12/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.