Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Mini Maggies as center channel (long)

The Maggie system is below the screen, with the DWM in the center, on the floor. The two satellites are on either side, 38 inches apart, center to center, on 16-inch high solid ash stands, toed-in so that they cross about two feet in front of the center listening position. This way, the sweet spot is as wide as my couch.

I know this is not Magnepan's intended (or recommended) use for the Mini Maggies. However, they have perhaps inadvertently created their best center channel speaker. Magnepan's dedicated center channel speakers, such as the MMGC which I own (but sits unused) and the flagship CCR (which I've heard at my local dealer in a very good dedicated HT room) suffer from not having sufficient low-end response (barely 200Hz) and a small sweet spot. No wonder they tout their Tri-Center solution!

The Mini Maggies are a better tri-center. They offer the best of Magnepan: true ribbon tweeters (in the satellites) and magnets on both sides of the diaphragm (in the DWM). To get those two technologies you would have to spend twice as much in the CCR (with the deficiencies noted above), or much more in the 3.7's and 20.7's (which are full-size speakers, not center channels).

Mini Maggies are detailed, transparent, with an extended and refined treble, a sweet midrange, and taut bass (down to about 60Hz). As a center channel speaker they raise dialogue intelligibility and anchor the soundstage with authority.

Last night, when I hosted my weekly night at the movies, I sat on the extreme left of the room. We watched Roman Polanski's Venus in Fur which has a terrific soundtrack. The soundstage was wide, deep, and tall, even from my extreme left vantage point!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Mini Maggies as center channel (long) - Tubo 12:06:43 10/25/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.