Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Atma Sphere M-60

The OP tried it with Zero autoformers to get the higher impedance but didn't like the results any better.

The OTLs are known for being better in preserving detail and not having a high freq rolloff so they end up sounding brighter. If your cables sources and pre were picked to complement the six pacs then you might find the Atmaspheres bright and sharp sounding.

The midrange magic of the EL34 tubes is not something you find other than in SET amps. Those are not likely to have enough power to drive your MG12s.

I am actually surprised you like the combo that much, as it is rather low in power. A Cary V12 might do the trick too. There are also Primaluna's that use these tubes or KT120 based amps that don't have quite as much magic as the EL34 but compensate with a warm overall balance with a much heftier bass and dynamics, and a more extended top end (though nothing like an OTL).

If you want to use a SET (and the 34 like midrange) then you would need to go to the large 211 and 845 tubes to start and probably end up wanting a parallel SET design to gain sufficient power.

Another way to go is to use your MG12 as a woofer for a line array of Neo8 PDR drivers for midrange and treble. They will match up with your six pacs much better and quite a few of us here can design the crossover for you either for biamping or at speaker level for single amp operation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.