Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Bi-Wire Made a considerable improvement

By and large, the thing with reviews -- useful as they can still be -- is that the universe of variability is so huge! There are far too many possible permutations, even before each individual enters the formula. For example, like you said earlier, a reviewer could start checking which, from among several amps at hand, will do best with another piece of hardware for evaluation. We can't fault them for that but have to keep it in mind. Most of them are not out to fool anyone. It is just the nature of things that no absolute frame of reference can be attained.

Luckily, thanks to modern communications, there often are a multitude of sources to cross-reference things. All we need to know is what WE want, [not always easy] along with some determination to find it in people's descriptions.

The samples I chose early on are mostly at the beginning of a piece. Usually, not further than the first 2 minutes. Several, just a few seconds into the piece. All are both in the PC and in compiled CDs. It allows me to scan for the impact of changes very quickly.

Most are pieces that I truly like and never get tired of hearing. Several were also challenges to my MMGs at first. When the MMGs started delivering on most of these, I added more pieces to add further challenges to their capability.

For example, very early on I had no hopes that the MMGs would really do ANY serious bass. That's what everyone said at the time. "Get a good subwoofer and that's that." So, I did not add bass-challenging pieces to the testing group; I saw no point. Then, about 3 months after the first group of test pieces was defined, I had to start revising. The darn MMGs seemed to want to do more than I was led to believe. Today, they can fool people into thinking the subwoofer is on...including myself.

The collection grew a little more. Initially, it was about 30 segments. Now it is closer to 50. Some 4 CDs worth. With the PC, I can go through all of it in under 30 minutes if I need to. The salient benefit is how the repetition gets things embedded in our minds. Both, sound character and image positionings. The positionings, perceptual as they still are, are about the most easy to convey to people with similar hearing. You just point to a location and the other person will know. They do likewise, and you know. No ABXing needed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.