Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Lovin my MMG's, except.....

Yes, we're both getting old...... :^ )

I don't post much anymore because too much of the "old crowd" here is gone, either because they finally got what they wanted or no longer care, and all the new people are starting at square one putting forth comments and ideas like what we went thru never happened... and I don't have the desire to go thru every discussion (and argument) all over again. I suppose that's a sign of getting old. Anyway, if you new people want to save time, go thru the archives... believe me, it's ALL been said and discussed.

Anyway, that's the rub with our hobby. Listening is a personal issue, and it's clear not everyone hears the same way, so that means it is a matter of taste and stating absolutes is a slippery slope. However that does not necessarily mean we cannot make some assumptions of truths, or at least generalizations. I think we have to if we want to make any kind of progress, individually or as a group.

This guy and his post and actions are a microcosm of what goes on with many people when they come to this past time. Enthusiastic but without experience they are all over the map in their rush for instant gratification, trying and doing so many things without the understanding of why changes are happenening, and doing so many things at once it's impossible to know which change even had the effect. Despite that they still jump to premature conclusions that are usually wrong (as he did) and the worst part is it appeared he was already ready to write that incorrect assumption down as gospel. That's why I responded.

Understanding that the room you use is one of the single biggest factors in determining how your system sounds has always been the hardest nut to drive home. People think they can just plunk the system down anywhere and it should work, and that simply isn't how it is at all. In fact the better the gear the more finnicky it will usually be about the room it is in, and in contrast rooms that are wonderful sounding can make rather ordiniary stuff sound simply magical.

Time for our meds....

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.