Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MG 1.6 loose croosbar

The same thing happened on my SMGa's, which only have two bars per driver. The bars had sprung loose at the ends, but remained solidly attached in the middle.

I agree with Andyr - that the drivers have to be removed entirely from the speaker frame so you work on them. There is no getting around that.

For mine, I used the 2-part epoxy that you mix up (I got the strongest formulation offered - nothing magical about the brand but get a good name brand in a fresh package). Get some with a longer "working time" so you can take you time and can deal with any mistakes. You also need some of those quick-clamps - two for each bar that you want to fix at a time.

Make sure the surfaces are clean.

The bars are curved, so make sure they are replaced (if you take yours all the way off, or it is comepletely loose) with the curvature correct. If your bars are all the way off, test clamp them to the pole piece prior to applying the glue to assure that your clamping scheme will restore the curvature.

To apply the glue I used a sample plastic credit card (one of those you get in the mail all the time with free offers ans such) to apply the epoxy evenly and get it into the hard to reach areas. Don't go hog-wild with the epoxy, just make sure the surfaces are covered. If you put too much, it'll squeeze out and run all over and make a mess, and could even plug holes on the pole piece near the bar and you don't want that. Also, you could force excess epoxy into the middle of the driver through the pole-piece holes, and you don't want that either.

There may be some narrow strips of tape over portions of the pole-piece holes in the QR section of the driver. Leave them alone.

When I applied the epoxy and clamped the bars back down on the edges of the panels and set them to cure, I placed them flat with the pole pieces DOWN to assure that any possible squeeze-out would not down run the front of the driver and any squeeze-out that might go through the pole piece holes did not get drip onto the mylar in the interior of the driver.

I did this repair to my SMGa's over two years ago and they are still going strong.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.