Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: SS Vs.Tube Xover

Hi Andy:

Yes, I have the XM-26 set up as 18 dB/octave on the bass and 12 dB/octave for the mid/ribbons. Phil Marchand wanted to know the filter characteristic when I ordered these boards for the XM-26 and I said Butterworth-- Magenepan does not really say this in their literature, though.

I have been torn over if and how to hi pass filter the bass panels. Recently, I have gone back to driving the MG-IIIa full range to experiment with running the MC275IV balanced because I have a long cable run between amp and preamp (Mac C41). I use a balanced output from the C41 for the Maggies and an unbalanced output for the XM-9 and then into the sub amp. I have VMPS passive subs so I use another stereo amp with them.

I like to go back to driving the Maggies full range every once in a while to compare how they sound versus biamping. Overall, though, I like the sound of the MG-III biamped and will go back. I have yet to fully evaluate the 340 Hz symmetric L-R crossover suggested by another MUG member too!!

Thanks for your suggestions on crossovers; in fact, I have 50 Hz and 100Hz L-R boards for the XM-26 in addition to the 18/12 Butterworth boards. I also have 50, 70, 85, and 100 Hz L-R plug-ins for the XM-9. I'd have to order to some additional plug-ins for the XM-9 to run it 12 dB/octave at 290/500Hz as you suggest. Sounds interesting though!

I wonder why Magnepan went from 12 to 18 dB/octave on the bass LP slope in the MG-IIIa??

Regards,
Keith

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: SS Vs.Tube Xover - kman9@cox.net 23:35:15 11/27/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.