Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

My opinion on all this is .......

.... that many audiophiles counteract what they do not like in the sound of their system with measures that reduce the fidelity. e.g. If the harshness is disliked speakers are chosen with drooping top ends. It might ameliorate the problems with recordings which suffer harshness because of microphones being too close, but it also dampens down the fidelity of well recorded CDs, LPs, SACDS etc.

My feeling is that some tube amps (note I said some, not all) soften the musical result to achieve what Brian described - makes all recordings listenable. A good amp is a good amp whether it be SS or tube and from that point of view there is nothing to choose between them. To claim tube amps solve problems is peddling snake oil as much as to say SS amps are necessary for clean transient reproduction.

I'm not a fan of tube amps for different reasons - SS is more reliable, less messing around with continual biasing (appreciating the better tube amps can do this automatically) and less heat involved. It also concerns me that tubes age and significant sound differences can be heard with different breeds of tubes. But that is just my take.

I'm not trying to rubbish all tube amps, it is just they are not for me and I reject the notion put forward by Brian (whether his tongue was in cheek or not) that a tube amp would make all my CDs listenable. I am presenbtly listening to an order of Chandos CDs which just arrived and every one of them is superb both sonically and artistically with no change of componentry needed or desired.

So please do not misinterpret. I'm not trying to offend tube amp owners, just reacting to a suggestion posted above. Does this explain?

John

Do not criticise the idiots in this world - we need them as they make the rest of us look so much better :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.